Wednesday 27 January 2010

My new music routines...

I figured it might actually be sensible to post when i'm going through these. Basically there's online and offline research. Offline tends to be through magazines and other publications such as NME and Kerrang. Online a myriad of blogs are at our disposal and as well as going through my favourites regularly I also search for ones that are probably amazing but I haven't heard of yet.

You're catching me on a wednesday which is the day I get nme delivered. Now, I've grown increasingly frustrated with NME as it doesn't really give any new information except for opinions which tend to be outlandish and ill researched. They have a few good features though, the new album releases, the 10 tracks you have to hear this week and the reason I can't cancel my subscription- academic gig listings.

So right now i'm on the album page reading about these guys...

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/media/images/22580/22580_medium.jpg

Everybody was in the french resistance... Now!

This is Eddie Argos of Art Brut and his Girlfriend from Blood Arm. It's a concept album that not so much meets inbetween their two bands but meets halfway between "inspired" and "stupid" there's a few good tracks but also a track written from Billie Jean's child's point of view. Yeah, that Billie Jean. So make up your own mind whether this is a positive use of resources, i'd reccomend the top one but check out the others if you like it-

G.I.R.L.F.R.E.N (You Know I’ve Got A)
Scarborough Faire
Hey it's Jimmy Mack

Race Horses - Goodbye Falkenberg (2010)

Race Horses

You may be aware of race horses as they released the two best songs from this their debut album last year. You can get that here. Cake and man in my mind are great tracks, yeah they're welsh so get comparisons to every other welsh artist there is; Super Furry Animals, Manic Street Preachers. I don't think there are any others... Tom Jones and Catatonia... ah you know bullet for my valentine are from bridgend? Intense.

I fear I may have swayed off topic here. So, if you do nothing else make sure you download "cake" it's brilliant. Great chorus, it sounds like it's straight out of the 60s.

I'm just going to post links to the rest as i'm weary-

Midlake- The courage of others
Lawrence of arabia- Chant Darling
Erland and the carnival- S/T (these guys are awesome)

No comments:

Post a Comment