Thursday 20 August 2009

MUSIC!!! (Gaslight Anthem)

Ah gotta love music. I don't know if anyone knows any of my music but yeah I'm a musician. Eventually if it starts getting interesting i'll tie in what i'm doing with this blog but at the mo I've just played my first show of the winter season last week, went splendidly, was only a short set played three tracks off the city in the sky ep- The love that I, Fast food and drinks in the forest and the bright eyes cover of hot knives what i do. Was in a car accident on the way home so having to be mature and fork out for that while cutting down on frivolities. Pour examplement I missed the dinosaur jr gig last night.

Anyway the reason I mentioned my music is, in the song "pom of opus" there's the line "Felt like myself for a moment there. I touched my face with a realisation of such potency i'm gonna be spending my life chasing what I felt that night" this is a reference to a night where I woke up at around two am and felt amazing like pure energy and when I rubbed my face it was like electricity. In my mind this is how everybody else feels all the time except me basically cos i've been on anti-depressants since my dad died but today I've felt that way for hours and I feel like i've come out the other side and am on a spiritual high.

So of course this has ignited my passion for music. I've listened to so much new music over the past few days and have more to come what with the indie rock playlist being put together for next month and needing to get my input together. My point here is that no matter how much music i've heard and maybe even including fanfarlo, yes that's right- even including fanfarlo, NOTHING comes close to this album and the impact it's had on me-
























The Gaslight Anthem- '59 Sound

I don't know where to start with this album. It's flawless. Deserving of every accolade it's gotten and I haven't heard any criticism. I can see this being the album I remember this decade for. I can't even come close to saying everything I want to about this album but I feel like if one person reads this and gets this album then it'll be worth trying.

The album begins with the crackling of vinyl and the guitar could easily be 50s jazz blues, lyrics and vocals come right in letting you know that this is going to be a relentless experience. God I need to see this band live. One criticism you might be able to level is that they use certain well known scenarios and names to create atmosphere, which in my opinion is beautiful and one of my favourite things about the album! But things like "a song from 1962", roadside cafes, elvis, miles davis, I think it's wonderful and puts you right there in that mindset, I feel Jack Kerouac could have listened to this album on the road. "everybody leaves so why, why wouldn't you?"

The '59 sound is a classic track, amazing musically, lyrically... Actually i'm just going to paste the lyrics here as anything I can say would just pale in comparison-

And I wonder which song they're going to play when we go.
I hope it's something quiet mannered, peaceful, and slow.
When we throw out into the ether.
Into the everlasting arms.
I hope we don't hear Marley's chains before July.
Cause the chains I've been hearing now for most of my life.
And the chains I've been hearing for most of my life.

To hear the '59 sound coming through my Grandfather's radio.
Did you hear the rattling chains in the hospital walls?
Did you hear the old gospel choir when they came to carry you over?
Did you hear your favorite song one last time?

And I wonder were you scared when the metal hit the glass.
See I was playing a show down the road when your spirit left your body.
And they told me on the front lawn, I'm sorry I couldn't go.
But I still know the song and the words and the name and the reasons.
And I know cause we were kids and we used to hang.

To hear the '59 sound coming through my Grandfather's radio.
Did you hear the rattling chains in the hospital walls?
Did you hear the old gospel choir when they came to carry you over?
Did you hear your favorite song one last time?

Young boys........young girls.
Ain't supposed to die on a saturday nights.
Ain't supposed to die on a saturday.
Well they ain't supposed to die on a saturday night.
Ain't supposed to die on a saturday night.

To hear the '59 sound coming through my Grandfather's radio.
Did you hear the rattling chains in the hospital walls?
Did you hear the old gospel choir when they came to carry you over?
Did you hear your favorite song one last time?

That song is when they entered the uk's consciousness because of this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atmGYUsbahw and why not? Pretty iconic performance.

Do yourself a favour and let this into your life, it's incredible and ever so poignant.

No comments:

Post a Comment