Tuesday 27 October 2009

Editors.






The page you are looking for is not here. Try:




http://outroversion.wordpress.com


If you are not redirected automatically within a few
seconds then please click on the link above.





http://www.music-dash.co.uk/siteimages/covers/editors05.jpg


A few days ago I was on twitter and got yelled at for not liking the editors that much before the latest album and indeed, for my inclusion of the definate article in their name.

I was persuaded to check out more of their old stuff. My main problem with "editors" was their first album came out post summer 2005 along with maximo park, hard-fi, ordinary boys- all of these bands that were orchestrated to english yobs and glastonbury goers, bloke rock. I should probably include the arctic monkey's in that list too.

Maximo park have matured into a fine enigmatic band in it for the long haul with a great live set up. I'm hearing the same sort of things about editors. I'm not sure what happened to the other bands I think I heard something about one of them growing their hair long?

Editors latest offering of 3 is the sound of a band having found their groove. Criticisms I've heard are "it sounds like the lead singer's been replaced by vic reeve's pub singer" and that "you don't know love" sounds like it would fit right in on Megaman II on the N.E.S. The latter I agree with but personally I think that's awesome!

So as I was saying, they've taken what worked on album one (Munich, Sparks and I suppose bullets) and dismissed what didn't click on album two and come up with a something distinctive which has put them on a par with some of the best around. I mean they're still in the same sort of genre as maximo park and arctic monkeys but it's not the worst place to be and it's not the same place they were 4 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment