Saturday 17 October 2009

Bright Eyes. That is all.

It's around this time of year I listen to Bright eyes christmas album and, I don't know- I love bright eyes. I own most of his works on cd but I figured as an early gift or maybe for canadian thanksgiving i'd make sure no one was missing a beat, a phrase which thanks to MLIA makes me want to cheesegrate my face :)

I'm also going to repost a blog I did a while back, all the links to the albums are in it-

"I'm just listening to cassadega and having it remind me how amazing music is, I first heard of bright eyes while I was at oxford college and saw it on a guys shirt, the digital ash album cover of some dude being sick in a toilet, ha fuck me i'm funny *LINK SPLOOT*... Anyway the first album I downloaded was the christmas album, I was like... THIS i do not get... But then a buddy asked me if i knew them and I claimed to be emperor of bright eyes knowledge because I was super l33t back then. Nonetheless ashamed at my behaviour i decided to go out get all their music and lsiten to them from start to finish, beginning with "a collection of songs"... Once again i was like- THIS I do not fucking get! I dug invisible gardner, music wise. I liked how he didn't worry about singing but I'm definately not getting into this band... Cue me at university in the uk, hating it like balls, miserable, felt like listening to anything remotely emo, put my entire collection of bright eyes on my (then creative labs zen) mp3 player from start to finish, pretty much history from there, started listening to I'm wide awake in my room playing along on my guitar, went out that night and cheated on my girlfriend like a coward. I woke up the next morning and the lyrics to Lua and this guy was finally getting right through to my soul...

"Supplies are endless in the evening; by the morning they’ll be gone."
"The mask I polish in the evening, by the morning looks like shit"
"The love I sell you in the evening, by the morning won’t exist."
"what’s so easy in the evening, by the morning is such a drag"
"what was normal in the evening, by the morning seems insane"
"And I’m not sure what the trouble was that started all of this
The reasons all have run away but the feeling never did
It’s not something I would recommend, but it is one way to live
Cause what is simple in the moonlight, by the morning never is"

And pretty much from then on I listened to everything he said. I moved to canada (for the same girl) everything I discovered by him pretty much soundtracking the breakdown of my relationship with that girl. Anyway she was history and cassedega came out and it signified the future "It's not that often but I think of her sometimes, just something quaint, a couple of ships in the night". Also while I was living in that apartment, noise floor was bought out which are just obscure and forgotten bright eyes tracks which are still better than anything anyone else has ever done. Also I bought the live album while I lived there. Weird I remember being happy all the time turns out I was megaemo!

Now if i'm feeling down I put him on and it makes me feel better, "when I press the keys it all gets reversed, the sound of loneliness makes me happier".

So now, 2009, they're my favourite band, death cab have fallen away due to appaling quality of their output and Conor inspires me to think I can make music and that my words mean something. Just mind blowing how everything he's done has been incredible.

I was going to post about all my favourite albums but this just ended up being a big bright eyes love fest, i'll post a few amazing tracks for anyone who isn't one of conor's deciples yet."

chronological order.

Invisible Gardener- (From a collection of songs)
The Calender hung itself (From Fevers and Mirrors)
Lover I don't have to love (From Lifted, or the story in the soil)
Goldmine Gutted (From digital ash in a digital urn)
Lua (From I'm wide awake, it's morning)
Spent on rainy days (From Noise Floor : Rarities)
Lime Tree (From Cassadaga)

Hopefully those links are still up, I'll just post a link to all the albums here if you don't mind-

A CHRISTMAS ALBUM
A COLLECTION OF SONGS 95-97
LETTING OFF THE HAPPINESS
FEVERS AND MIRRORS
LIFTED
I’M WIDE AWAKE, IT’S MORNING
DIGITAL ASH IN A DIGITAL URN
MOTION SICKNESS
NOISE FLOOR
CASSADAGA

thanks to strikeitgently.com for some of the links!

No comments:

Post a Comment